Sunday, March 13, 2016

Great Pea Soup

I finally made this wonderful soup last week. For once I followed the recipe exactly (except for twice as much lime juice) and it was worth it!  A light yet filling bowl that had tons of flavor and left me feeling satisfied and not overstuffed.   The apple and sweet potato were wonderful additions and I didn't miss the usual bacon/ham/split pea combo at all. The yogurt and cilantro at the end are essential for both taste and texture. By the way, Ellen, I have the same problem keeping fresh cilantro on hand. I can only grow it in very early spring or very late fall since it bolts really fast in our heat, but when it is the right temperature I have masses.  I chop it up in the food processor with just a little water and freeze it in ice cube trays. One cube is just right for a bowl of soup and the ice melts right away. When it's run out I just buy a couple big bunches and do the same, so I always have chopped cilantro. Just be careful to not chop it to a pesto type paste (although that's good too). I love this soup and will make it again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment